Top Ten People Skills for Managers
1. Be Patient- The old adage is that you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. This holds true in business and there is a lot to gain when you take your time and focus on the needs of your employees and customers.
2. Be Kind- Treat your employees with kindness and treat your customers with respect. When you treat others this way, they are likely to return the favor.
3. Focus on Success- Far too often in business, the focus is on the negative aspects of business and employee performance. To truly motivate your employees and improve their morale, more attention needs to be placed on the good things that are done and the moments of success the company has.
4. Brag About Others Over Yourself- A manager who only toots his own horn will not be a strong leader. Employees do not want to follow someone who takes all of the glory and pushes them aside.
5. Be Polite to Everyone- You never know who are dealing with- especially in this day and age of undercover shoppers and secret boss investigations. You never know who they may really be and how that interaction can impact your business.
6. Stay Calm and Level-Headed – Losing your temper and flying off the handle will destroy morale, communications, and the teamwork of the office.
7. Play Well With Others- Having a successful business is all about being able to work together and compromise in order to reach a common goal. You have to be able to get along with others to be a successful manager.
8. Be Optimistic- Keep a positive outlook, even in the middle of troubles and difficulties. A strong outlook motivates better than panic and negativity.
9. Look to the Future- You need to think about the future plans and determine how you will reach your goals- both long term and short term goals so you are not caught off guard.
10. Do Not Forget About Today- Do not lose sight of the day to day issues that need to be addressed. Reaching tomorrow’s goal at the expense of today is a poor trade that should not be made.
About Sarah Jo Lorenz
I am a very passionate individual who has many loves that I share with others. I have been writing all my life and have been working in the writing field for over 12 years. Get ready for some fun!